Descent Into OblivionMal is dead. The crew of Serenity wrestle with loss, regret, and life and death decisions in the face of the unknown.
Warnings: A character-focussed scenario. Not for those who want to ‘solve the problem’ or care about ‘winning’ or ‘losing’.
Character and scenario summary
This scenario is set in a future with a ‘cowboys in space’ feel, in which spacecraft ply the trade routes between planets. These planets are part of a greater central authority, but have significant administrative independence (much as various states had in the old west). A civil-war for greater independence from the unifying alliance happened in the recent past, leaving scars which have not yet healed.
- You are on the 'Serenity', a small, private, unarmed cargo craft, which sometimes engages in operations which are not strictly legal (small time smuggling etc.)
- The Serenity currently has no shuttles or other small craft on board. Your crew-mates, Inara and River are already on Haven with them waiting your return.
- You have spacesuits, but their radios only have a range of a few hundred meters.
- You are currently shipping cargo to Haven, a planet which is involved in a conflict with the Blue Sun Corporation.
- Someone (probably a corporate agent) managed stow away on board the 'Serenity'.
- The stowaway was discovered while prepping for arrival at Haven. On discovery he attempted to take the Bridge.
- On the bridge at the time were Mal (the Captain), Wash and Zoe.
- Zoe killed the stowaway, but before dying the stowaway dropped some kind of grenade.
- The Captain threw himself on the grenade which went off killing him and damaging the ship’s controls.
- You activated a distress beacon; there is no way of knowing if it has been heard.
- Zoe passed out shortly after the explosion – Simon has been checking her over, while Wash and Kaylee have been checking over the damage to the Bridge.
- You are now gathered in the Galley to discuss the situation.
Reminder: This is not a game about ‘solving the problem’. This about playing the characters and the situation they find themselves in.
Serenity crew summary:
- Mal – Captain – Fought beside Zoe in the war. Deceased.
- (F) Zoe – First Officer – Married to Wash – Fought alongside Mal in the war.
- (M) Wash – Pilot – Married to Zoe
- (N) Jayne – Weapons expert.
- (M) Simon – Ship’s Doctor – Brother to River.
- (F) Kaylee – Ship’s Engineer
- (M) Shepherd Book – a minister of religion; ship’s cook and general assistant.
- Inara – Public relations. (Not on Board. Went ahead to Haven.)
- River – sister to Simon – (Not on Board. Went ahead with Inara.)
NB: The letters in parentheses above indicate the perceived gender of each character in this game. (N) Indicates the player may choose the character's perceived gender.
Back to BTL